Did you know that
- the average Canadian household wastes 140 kilograms of food annually? That’s a cost of more than $1,100 per year! Eliminating the food we throw in the trash will help save money, avoid waste, and reduce the greenhouse gas emissions associated with growing, processing, packaging, and transporting our foods.
- Canadians currently use an average of 329 litres of water per person, per day — second only to the United States in the developed world, and more than twice as much as Europeans.
What can you do?
- Limit food waste
- Build a rain garden
- Create a drought-tolerant garden
- Compost at home
- Install high efficiency showerheads and/or toilets
- Follow the CRD watering schedule
- Collect rainwater to use for irrigation
- Donate, recycle & compost