Recycling, Compost & Garbage
Central Saanich residents have the Capital Regional District's Blue Box Program as well as access to a number of recycling depots that accept items the Blue Box Program cannot.
Curbside pick up
- The CRD picks up bi-weekly and collects these items (note: all items accepted for recycling are banned from residential garbage). To participate: Utilize at least one CRD Blue Box or Blue Bag to indicate to the recycling truck driver the materials are intended for this program; Have your recyclables at the curb by 7:30 a.m. on your collection day.
- Refuse offers curbside pick up of items including soft plastic, styrofoam, and foil.
- Pacific Mobile Depot - On the fourth Saturday of each month (except December), soft plastics, styrofoam products, small electronics and more, may be recycled at a mobile depot held in the parking lot of Stelly’s High School, 1627 Stelly’s Cross Road from 9:00 a.m. to noon. For more detailed information regarding acceptable materials and related costs, please visit PMD's website.
- Hartland Recycling - The public drop-off area at Hartland receives garbage, recyclables, product stewardship items and household hazardous waste. Over 80 items from 25 product categories are accepted for recycling.
- Return It Sidney Recycling Centre & Bottle Depot - Open everyday but Sunday, you can drop off a lengthy list of recyclables at #5-10025 Galaran Road in Sidney, BC. From the smallest items, such as batteries and cell phones, to the largest, such as outdoor power equipment, you will be pleased to learn what you can recycle here.
More recycling resources
- If you're not sure where to drop off your items, you can find out what materials are accepted at recycling depots in your area here.
- Stewardship Associations of BC has also published a BC Recycling Handbook.
- For any other recycling information, contact the Recycling Council of BC Hotline at 1-800-667-4321.
The CRD is committed to diverting kitchen scraps from Hartland landfill. As such, kitchen scraps are restricted from your garbage.
"Kitchen scraps" includes materials such as meat, bones, fish, cooked leftover food, dairy products, grain products such as bread and pizza, napkins and paper towels, which should not be composted in a regular backyard compost bin.
The Municipality does not offer garbage collection services; please contact one of the local private garbage collection companies to arrange pick up. Some people choose to drop their trash off at the Hartland landfill at #1 Hartland Ave.
Please note deliberately abandoned or dumped waste on public or private property is considered illegal dumping; it is harmful to the environment and costs taxpayers. Help us keep your neighbourhood clean and safe by reporting incidents of abandoned garbage and contacting us if you witness illegal dumping.
Non-deposit glass containers:
- CRD Blue Box recycling program
Glass must be put in a separate container for regular curbside pickup. ONLY NON-DEPOSIT GLASS should be included for recycling.
The CRD announced that too much deposit glass is going into the recycling - about 2/3 of the glass picked up through the Blue Box program is deposit glass, causing the CRD to consider whether or not to continue glass recycling. We can help with the process by returning our deposit glass for a refund or donate it to a community bottle drive. For more information on recycling visit the curbside-recycling webpage on the CRD website.
Deposit glass containers/returnable bottles
- Bottle Depot, 4261 Glanford Avenue, Saanich
- Island Return-It, 10025 Galaran Road, Sidney, 250-655-4878
- A list of Recycling depots within the CRD can be found on the CRD website.
Central Saanich Business Drop-Off Locations
Non-alcoholic returnable bottles only at grocery stores.
- Fairway Market, 7108 W Saanich Road, 778-426-2878
- Peninsula Coop, 2132 Keating X Road, 250-652-1188
- Thrifty Foods, 7860 Wallace Drive, Saanichton, 250-544-0980
Ongoing Bottle Drives
- Stelly’s High School Dry Grad Program
You can drop off your deposit bottles at Stelly’s School every fourth Saturday of the month (In association with soft plastic recycling--PMD Recycling) from 9:00 a.m. to noon.
- Sidney Lions Food Bank
Drop off your deposit bottles to the receptacle (accessible 24/7) located outside the Food Bank on 9586 Fifth Street, Sidney. All proceeds go to the Sidney Lions Food Bank to assist those in need on the Peninsula.
Donate to a Local Charity
The following donation bins are located throughout the Peninsula
- Keating Elementary School PAC, Keating Elementary School, 6843 Central Saanich Road
- Kimura Shukokai Karate, 7082 Wallace Drive
- SPCA, 6881 West Saanich Road
- Victoria Therapeutic Riding Assn., 6917 Veyaness Road
- Peninsula Soccer Assn., 10714 McDonald Park Rd
Please contact us if you would like to have your business or society listed on this page.