Committees & Commissions
Citizens sit on various commissions and committees and act as trustees for the community. They review applications brought forward by municipal staff and make appropriate recommendations to Council. It is a matter of law that members not become involved in conflict of interest situations and members should actively avoid gaining, or appearing to gain, private advantage from matters about which they have privileged information, or about which they are asked to comment and advise.
Agendas, minutes, and livestreams of our Committees and Commissions can be viewed here
Current committees are:
- Advisory Planning Commission (APC): Council, by resolution, provides requests to the APC seeking advice on matters respecting land use, community planning, proposed bylaws and permits, community heritage matters, and agricultural matters. The Commission meets on the third Wednesday of each month, as needed.
- Board of Variance: Reviews development variance applications and can grant minor variances when compliance with the Zoning Bylaw would cause a person undue hardship.
- Saanich Peninsula Accessibility Advisory Committee: is a joint tri-municipal committee established by the District of Central Saanich, the District of North Saanich, and the Town of Sidney. The purpose is to provide comment and recommendations to Saanich Peninsula local governments on policies, programs, services, built environments, infrastructure and outdoor spaces in order continue to improve the livability, inclusivity and accessibility for persons with disabilities, who live, work and play on the Saanich Peninsula. Agendas, minutes and webcast information can be found on the North Saanich Website
- Age-Friendly Plan Select Committee: Select Committee to be held from March to October 2023, to assist in preparing the Age-Friendly Community Plan by providing insight and understanding of the experience of seniors in Central Saanich.
- Healthy Communities Standing Committee: Standing Committee that will pursue the strategic goals of Council that focus on improving the quality of life for Central Saanich residents, including providing a range of housing opportunities and protecting housing affordability, supporting local business and community economic development, fostering a sense of community, and responding to community need.
- Parks and Environment Standing Committee: Standing Committee to provide advice to Council relating to environment and sustainability in Central Saanich while being committee to progressing the District’s visions and principles of demonstrating climate leadership, and protecting and enhancing the environment, biodiversity, and natural ecosystems.
Please see 'Documents' for committee terms of reference. If you have questions about a committee, feel free to contact us.
Our Connect with Council page has information on how to bring something forward to council or a committee.
Apply to be on a committee