Happy Earth Day 2022!
We're celebrating by sharing this new video series about the restoration work underway in Centennial Park. Learn about the native species (you can use them in your own garden) in the three-part video series here:
Want to see what we're working on? Check out our Climate Action website.
Do you want to make a difference?
Calculate your carbon footprint | Know what your impact is and see where you can improve.
Eat local fresh food | Visit a local farm stand. View a list of Saanich Peninsula Farms HERE
Shop local | Where possible, shop local and support our neighbours and economy. We are fortunate to have excellent business based on Central Saanich, including restaurants, breweries and wineries, chocolate shops, home improvement and a range of other businesses from home-based to large. View Central Saanich Business Directory (and add yours if its not listed!)
Offset your digital emissions | Tree Canada has launched "Offset Mode", a Chrome extension that uses real-time data to calculate the carbon impact of your internet usage, and then suggests the exact donation needed to offset that impact. For more information, visit OffsetMode.com
If you have a yard…
- Build a rain garden
- Create a drought-tolerant garden
- Compost at home
- Collect rainwater to use for irrigation
- Grow more fruits and veggies for yourself (and your neighbours!)
- Plant a tree
Limit food and household waste | Here in the Capital Regional District, the average person produces 380 kg of garbage annually. We need to reduce to 250 kg per person to extend the life of the Hartland Landfill, which will be full by 2045 if we don't do something.
- Be mindful of what you purchase: think about the packaging, the materials and its lifespan
- Meal planning can save you money, time and waste.
- With many donation locations and recycling depots closed at the moment, temporarily label and store everything in one place so it will be easy to start recycling when the time is right.
- Install high efficiency showerheads and/or toilets
- Follow the CRD watering schedule
- Limit food waste
- Donate, recycle & compost