The health of our residents is our utmost concern, and the District of Central Saanich is taking the COVID-19 response seriously. Strong public health efforts are underway to slow the spread of the virus, and our community must work together to support these efforts and do our part. The situation is evolving rapidly, so please check below for local, provincial and federal resources.
From The BC Centre for Disease Control:
- Have you taken a flight recently? Check the list of flights with a confirmed case of COVID-19 on board: http://ow.ly/Qyji50yYAuT If you are arriving from outside of Canada, it is mandatory to self-isolate for 14 days. People exposed on a domestic flight also need to self-isolate.
COVID-19 Medical Information:
- For people who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or who require assistance with other health issues, call HealthLinkBC at 8-1-1.
- The BC Ministry of Health and BC Centre for Disease Control have developed a Self-Assessment tool, which can help you determine whether you may need further assessment or testing for COVID-19. Click here to access the Self-Assessment Tool.
COVID-19 Non-Medical Information:
- Provincial COVID-19 information:
- Call: 1-888-COVID-19 (1-888-268-4319) – available 7 days a week, 7:30 am to 8 pm
- Text: 604-630-0300
- Public Health Agency of Canada's COVID-19 information:
- Call: 1-833-784-4397
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For More Information
Continue to check this page for updates on District facilities and services. You can also follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Residents are also encouraged to stay up-to-date by regularly visiting these Federal and Provincial and local links:
- Federal: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
- Provincial: http://www.bccdc.ca/about/news-stories/stories/2020/information-on-novel-coronavirus
- Local: https://www.islandhealth.ca/news/news-releases
- Local https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/diseases-conditions/novel-coronavirus-information
Central Saanich is increasing bylaw presence in parks and the community to remind residents provincial health orders and prevent the spread of COVID-19. You can access a list of other BC Provincial Health Orders regarding COVID-19 on the Provincial Health Officer's page. These include:
- personal service establishments (such as barbershops, salons, nail estheticians, health spas, massage parlours, tattoo shops and others) to close until further notice (more details here).
- restaurants can only offer take-out and/or delivery services, in order to ensure proper social distancing.
- businesses with liquor primary licences, such as bars, pubs and night clubs, must close
- any person who has travelled outside Canada and returned on or after March 12 must self-isolate for 14 days.
- public gatherings of more than 50 people – indoors or outdoors – must be cancelled
- farmer's markets are permitted if they adhere to the provincial health orders listed here: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/community-settings/farmers-markets
The Province of BC has banned open air burning, in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic and respiratory illness.
The District of Central Saanich activated our Emergency Operations Centre on March 10. Activating the EOC provides a mechanism to centralize planning and coordinate communications. It is important to recognize the District is not the lead agency on COVID-19 (coronavirus) and will continue to take direction from the Province and Island Health. Staff are working to reduce any disruptions to District operations and to ensure regular updates on the COVID-19 situation. If you have a question specifically for the EOC, you can email EmergencyProgram@csaanich.ca or phone 250-544-4225, Monday to Friday, 9 am- 4pm.
To ensure the health and safety of our first responders, staff and community we are temporarily restricting public access to:
- Fire Station 1 on Keating Cross Road *by appointment only
- Municipal Hall *by appointment only
- Central Saanich Police Service *by appointment only
- Public Works Yard *deliveries only
- All playgrounds, sports courts and sports fields are closed to support the Provincial Health Officer's physical distancing orders
- Private function spaces at Fire Station 1, Municipal Hall and the Fieldhouse and shelters at Centennial Park are unavailable for booking until further notice.
The Central Saanich Cultural Centre in Brentwood Bay is leased to different user groups. At this time the Centre for Active Living 50+, Panorama Recreation programs, and the Greater Victoria Public Library are closed. The public washroom at Verdier Park is open; we have increased cleaning and ask that all users practice optimal hygiene.
Council Meetings and Public Hearings
Council meetings will continue so Council can move regular business forward. As the Municipal Hall is closed to the public, for the time being, all Council meetings are being broadcast live here. If you wish to submit a comment or question to Council for the meeting, you can email to email@example.com or deliver via the drop box at the front door prior to noon on the day of the meeting. Submissions for 'Public Questions' will be read aloud at the meeting. Your question(s) may have to be summarized to fit within the allotted time.
The District is rescheduling public hearings until a later date when all those with an interest are able to attend.
Access Services Online or By Phone
Many of our services can be accessed online or call us at 250-652-4444 so we can assist you.
- You can pay your water bill through online banking.
- You can watch Council meetings online following the day they occur.
- You can contact staff by email.
- You can contact Mayor and Council by email.
- You can apply for permits via new process
- List of Central Saanich businesses that deliver or offer pick up/take out
- Many of our residents & businesses on the Peninsula will need support during this trying time. We've launched a site to connect the community with resources. It's just waiting for you to help populate it with ideas & stories: https://letstalkcentralsaanich.ca/copingwithcovid
- The Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank is in urgent need of donations. If you are able, please consider donating online at www.splfoodbank.com/donate or by phone 250-655-0679.
- Beacon Community Services is working to provide information and assistance to seniors and other vulnerable local residents by phone at 250-655-5537. If you know of any vulnerable members of our community looking for information or assistance, please pass this contact information along. If you are looking to volunteer during this time, please consider contacting Beacon Community Services regarding volunteering opportunities.
- Donate blood - visit www.blood.ca for more information.
- All playgrounds, sports courts and fields are closed as observations of some residents not practicing social distancing have been taking place. Residents must keep a 2 metre/6 foot physical distance from anyone who does not live in their household. We encourage residents to enjoy trails and open spaces while adhering to the orders and requests of the Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry.
- The District reminds all residents to not flush sanitizer wipes, paper towels or baby wipes. These non-flushable items are being seen in local and regional sewer systems and can create blockages and impact sewer station functions.
- Practice social distancing – If you are out in public, keep a distance of 2 meters (6’) from other people.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cough or sneeze into your sleeve and not your hands.
- Stay home if you are sick to avoid spreading illness to others
- Do not flush sanitizer wipes, paper towels or baby wipes. These non-flushable items are being seen in local and regional sewer systems and can create blockages and impact sewer station functions.