Many coastal communities are struggling for solutions to clean up abandoned vessels and prevent them from becoming serious environmental and navigational hazards.
Sheila Malcolmson, Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Ladysmith has introduced Bill C-352, An Act to amend the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 and to provide for the development of a national strategy (abandonment of vessels) to:
- End the run-around and finger-pointing by designating Coast Guard as the agency responsible for directing the removal & recycling of abandoned vessels
- Build a coast-wide strategy in cooperation with local and provincial governments
- Get taxpayers off the hook by fixing vessel registration and creating a fee to help cover the cost of vessel disposal
- Prevent vessels from becoming hazards by piloting a turn-in program at safe recycling facilities
- Create good green jobs by supporting local marine salvage businesses
It's time to clean up abandoned vessels and protect our coast.