Summer is an optimum time to complete road work, and you will notice work underway in our community. As traffic volumes are lower than usual, we will be starting this year's program with the major roads.
As always, please use caution in work zones and avoid traffic delays by taking an alternate route through the area, if possible.
The 2020 Pavement Rehabilitation Program will start at the end of May and last most of the summer.
Roads to be paved include:
- Complete: East Saanich Road (except through the Saanichton area as this section was completed in 2019)
- Complete: Stelly’s Cross Road, Walcer to East Saanich
- Complete: Central Saanich/Saanich X Rd, Keating X Rd to East Saanich Rd
- Complete: Keating X road, Butler Crescent to Buena Vista
- Complete: Wallace Drive, East Saanich Rd to North Saanich border
- Complete: Patch paving Keating X Rd & Central Saanich from Keating to Saanich X Rd
- Complete: Chipsealing in the Straights View neighbourhood: 7900-8400 Block of Wallace Dr– from East Saanich Rd to the North Saanich Border; Newman Rd from East Saainch Rd to Old V and S Rd; and Straits View Road to Wallace Dr. Work zone marked in blue and detour route highlighted in red; motorists are advised to select an alternate route to avoid any delays. Roads will have loose rock chips for several weeks. Therefore, reduce speed accordingly.
- Complete: Patch paving Wallace Dr from Benvenuto to Greig Avenue
- Complete: Patch paving Keating X Rd from Butler Crescent to Public Works yard
- Complete: Patch paving Tanner Rd from Rodolph to Central Saanich Rd
- July 31: Paving intersection at Tanner Road and Elaine Way
August 7: Patch paving Tanner Rd from Elaine Way to Pat Bay Hwy
As more road works dates are set, we will update this page and post notices on our Twitter social media account.
Looking at our roads and active transportation
When we do road work we do look for opportunities to expand bike lanes when it is appropriate. We want to take a planned approach to our active transportation network, and that is why we are working on Central Saanich's first Active Transportation Plan. We have heard from hundreds of people so far and had the largest response to an online survey the District has ever had. More than 700 community members, representing a range of abilities and ages, shared their hopes and challenges. We have now moved onto the next phase of the project and are working to identify and describe the opportunities to improve active transportation conditions; a report will be presented to Council and the community very soon. The draft Active Transportation Plan will be available in the Fall 2020. At that time, further community input will be sought to ensure community priorities are reflected in the plan and to gauge the level of resident support for the action items identified in the plan. Please stay tuned for future community engagement opportunities!
Subscribe for updates here: https://letstalkcentralsaanich.ca/activetransportation