Wide open spaces is a treasured feature of living in Central Saanich, but it means it can be more difficult to travel without a private vehicle. With effort from everyone we can reduce the carbon impacts of transportation.
Greenhouse gas emissions from transportation are the #1 source of emissions in our community and most privately owned vehicles sit idle 95% of the time.
What can you do?
Calculate your carbon footprint
Find out your impact with Saanich's calculator, and play with the tool to see how small changes can add up and can improve the quality of your life and our community! In addition to the ideas below, choosing local trips and taking less flights will help you decrease your transportation emissions.
Walk and bike for short trips; just 1 km has an impact!
Improve your lifestyle with more time spent walking and biking. Just 1 km, or approx 10 mins of walking, equals 1,250 steps and approx. 60 calories burned and improves our air quality.
- New to biking? You could buy a second-hand bike to see how you like it and check out the StreetWise Cycling Online
- Try an electric bicycle - you can trial one at a number of bike shops.
- Take advantage of the province’s income-qualified E-bike rebates for residents beginning June 1, 2023!
- Check out the CRD cycling map
- Map your cycling experience to make biking safer at bikemaps.org
Did you know you can lease a used EV for what you're probably spending on gas and maintenance? EVs are quiet and smooth to drive and you can charge up for just a few dollars. BC has the most charging stations in Canada with more being added all the time!
Rebate programs for vehicle purchase
Province of BC's rebate program, up to $3,000 of point-of-sale incentives for electric, hybrid and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
Government of Canada's rebate program, up to $5,000 of point-of-sale incentives for fully battery electric vehicles with a base model MSRP under $45,000, or under $55,000 in the case of vehicles with 7+ seats. Higher trim models of qualifying base vehicles may still be eligible. iZEV offers up to $5,000 off the purchase of a qualifying new battery electric vehicle.
BC SCRAP-IT Program, up to $6,000 to scrap high polluting vehicles when replaced with an electric vehicle and other low carbon forms of transportation.
Specialty-Use Vehicle Incentive Program, between $2,000 and $50,000 for motorcycle, low-speed vehicles, medium/heavy duty trucks, forklifts, and airport and port vehicles.
Rebate programs for chargers
Central Saanich Business EV Charger Grant offers up to 50% of the overall cost of a Level 2 charging station (max $5,000 rebate per station) to local businesses and non-profit organizations seeking to add a public charger to their site by partnering with the District of Central Saanich.
The province's EV Charger Rebate Program. Rebates are available to support individuals, organizations, buildings, and companies.
BC Hydro offers grants for installation of workplace chargers.
Electric Vehicle Advisor service for Strata and Workplaces
The Plug In BC EV Advisor service for Strata and Workplaces can provide up to five hours of free advice to employers, staff, multi-family residents, or strata councils on charging incentives,charging installation processes,user guidelines within stratas, workplaces,and on the benefits of acquiring chargers.
Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations
- Central Saanich Municipal Hall, 1903 Mount Newton Cross Road
- Central Saanich Cultural Centre, 1209 Clarke Road
- Peninsula Co-op, 2132 Keating Cross Road
- Marigold Cafe, 7900 Lochside Drive
The PlugShare website and smartphone app provides information on additional charging stations.
For more info see: Plug-In BC for all incentives.
View a presentation by Emotive on Electric Vehicles 101
Use public transit and car sharing
Transit is a great way to make the most of your commute, and it's not only good for your health (more walking) and wallet, it's great for local businesses as it encourages shopping closer to home.
- Check out BC Transit to plan your trip and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Need a vehicle? Car-sharing spreads the use of a few vehicles between a number of drivers and helps to reduce the number of cars on the road. Residents of Central Saanich get $50 in free drive time with Modo, just for signing up as a new member. Join online using the promo code CENTRALSAANICH at www.modo.coop.