Safety & Education Programs
Our team is committed to keeping you and your family safe. Please take advantage of the many fire prevention and education programs we offer and contact CSFD at 250-544-4238.
Smoke Alarm Program - Designed for the elderly or disabled residents who may have difficulty maintaining their own alarms, we provide and install battery powered smoke alarms to any resident requesting one.
Fire Extinguisher Training - We offer training to local businesses and community groups about fire behavior and extinguishment, hazard recognition, and how to use of a fire extinguisher.
Fire Station Tours - Schools and community groups are invited to tour the fire station where we educate them about smoke alarms, household fire safety, and how to escape from fire.
CPR and First Aid - CPR/AED and First Aid, including relief from choking, is offered to community groups, newborn mother’s groups, middle school and high school students.
Car Seat Inspection Program - Is your child’s car seat correctly fitted to your vehicle? Contact us to have your car seat inspected by a certified child restraint technician.
If you live in an urban interface area, we would like to help you and your family prepare in the event of a wildland fire.
Six steps to protect your property from wildfire
1 Remove fuels surrounding your home and outbuildings
2 Keep embers and firebrands from entering your home
3 Create a wildland fire safety plan for your property
4 Reduce the risk of fires on your property
5 Ensure your address is visible and you have good driveway access
6 Review the wildland fire risk checklist
Clothes dryer fires can occur when lint builds up in the dryer or in the exhaust duct. Lint can block the flow of air, cause excessive heat build-up, and result in a fire.
Here are some tips to help prevent dryer fires:
- Never leave your house with the dryer still running; if a fire starts you won’t be there to take corrective action.
- Lint build-up is the leading cause of dryer fires. Lint accumulation, in the dryer and dryer vent, reduces airflow which creates a highly combustible source. Remove lint from the filter before or after each use.
- Clean behind the dryer, where lint can build up.
- Restricted dryer vents cause reduced air flow and high temperatures in the dryer. Look for lint accumulation and any other blockages and have them fixed.
- Use a sheet-metal or non combustible code compliant dryer vent. If a fire starts in a plastic exhaust pipe it can melt away quickly, increasing the chances that fire will spread.
- Tidy up: Do not pile up laundry or other items on top of the dryer or near the sides, the fewer combustible materials around the dryer, the better.
- Take special care when drying clothes that have been soiled with chemicals such as , cooking oils, cleaning agents, or finishing oils and stains. To prevent clothes from igniting after drying, do not leave the dried clothes in the dryer or piled in a laundry basket.
- Good fire safety planning includes knowing two ways out of your home.
- In a winter storm, your exits may become blocked by snow or fallen trees, or be frozen shut by ice. Try your exits to make sure they are accessible.
- Inform everyone in your home about the fire safety rules they must follow.
- Conduct regular safety checks of each room and keep a watchful eye on children and older adults.
- Make sure everyone knows the fire escape plan.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless and colourless gas produced when fuel is burned. CO is poisonous. Because you can’t smell it, you can be poisoned before you have time to get to safety. CO poisoning can cause death in as little as one to three minutes. Even when it’s not fatal, acute and long-term exposure to CO can cause serious health problems.
CO is produced by:
- Small engines
- Gas ranges
- Portable generators
To prevent CO poisoning:
- Follow the manufacturers’ instructions on all fuel-burning appliances
- Never use a portable generator, BBQ, camp stove or other similar device indoors, including inside a garage or other enclosed or partially enclosed areas
- Only operate portable generators outdoors and at a location where the exhaust cannot enter your home or other buildings through doors or windows
- Use a CO detector at home, including if you have a home with natural gas forced air heating
- Think carefully before you bring a fuel-burning appliance into your home. Any device that burns fuel requires oxygen to provide complete combustion and ventilation to remove the products of combustion. Any device fueled by natural gas, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, charcoal, gasoline or wood produces carbon monoxide.
- Use only portable space heaters that have been designed for indoor, residential use.
- Before using a portable heater, review the manufacturer’s recommendations for usage and follow the instructions carefully. Only use the fuel for which the appliance was designed.
- When using the heater, provide adequate ventilation by opening a window slightly.
- Before refueling, turn off the heater, wait for it to cool and take the heater outside to refill.
- Never use propane or charcoal barbecues indoors. They are designed for outdoor use only. It is preferable to eat a cold meal than die from carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Keep all heaters at least 1m (3 ft) away from combustible materials, including drapes, carpeting, and furniture.
- Turn portable space heaters off when you are not in the room and before you go to bed.
- If you are using a wood stove, be careful with the ashes. Always empty ashes into a covered metal container and store them outside away from combustibles.
- If you have not used your fireplace or woodstove for a long time, have it checked by a professional technician before using it. Your chimney may be blocked or damaged, which could cause a fire or a build-up of carbon monoxide inside the home.
- Generators should not be brought inside the home for any reason.
- Before going to bed, do a quick check of every room to make sure candles are out and heaters are off. Wear several layers of clothing to preserve body heat.
Persons wishing to have a Fireworks event may obtain a permit from the Central Saanich Fire Department up to 2 weeks prior to the event.
- You can set off fireworks on October 31 between 5 and 10 p.m.
- You need a fireworks permit to possess or discharge fireworks in Central Saanich.
- You must be 18 years of age or older in order to receive a permit
- Fireworks can only be set off by the permit holder on private property
To obtain a permit, please fill out the application and bring it to the fire station located at 1512 Keating Cross Road
If you are lighting fireworks on private property that is not your own. You are required to fill out a Schedule "C" Permit that is to be signed by the property owner.
- Choose a safe outdoor area. Ideally bare area of ground and away from buildings, structures or other combustibles.
- Have spectators watch from a safe distance of at least 20 metres.
- Use a lighting stick to light fireworks, rather than matches or lighters.
- Have a large bucket of water, sand or a garden hose ready at the fire site.
- Leave “duds” untouched for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Dispose spent firework casings in a container of water.
- Do not point or throw fireworks at anyone or anything – people, pets, cars or buildings.
- Do not hold fireworks in your hand while lighting them.
- Never attempt to re-light or move fireworks that fail to go off.