A new park feature under is under development this summer/fall.
A pond in Adam Kerr Park will support a healthy and natural environment in the park and in Tetayut Creek.
The project will:
- Expand the Peninsula Stream Society environmental improvements on the upper ponds.
- Hold water during the winter to create an ecologically rich wetland.
- Provide a habitat for the endangered Western Painted Turtle (the only native pond turtle left in BC) and other native species.
- Re-introduce many native plans, which will help filter water in Tetayup Creek by removing contaminants.
- Improve water quality in Tetayut Creek, which supports salmon and trout.
The pond will feature a permanent fence for safety of park users given the water and hard landscape features surrounding the pond.