The Engineering department is responsible for all municipal infrastructure, which includes:
- transportation systems: roads, bridges, traffic signals, streetlights, street signs, sidewalks, bus shelters, and roadside litter control;
- drainage systems: storm drainage infrastructure including 32 kilometers of creeks, 73 kilometres of storm sewers, and 120 kilometres of drainage ditches;
- parks: 37 parks, trails, playgrounds, and naturalized green spaces;
- sanitary sewer collection systems: sewer main repair and replacement; sewer lift station maintenance; and
- water supply systems: water main and service repair and replacement, hydrant exercising, valve and meter maintenance, water sample testing, and the maintenance of pressure regulating stations.
In addition, Engineering processes, approves and inspects of all works installed by private developers that become municipal property, including:
- design and construction of roads, sidewalks, traffic control measures, drainage, sanitary sewers, and water mains, and planning of future servicing requirements;
- review and inspection of subdivision developments;
- responding to queries with respect to municipal servicing requirements from consultants, contractors, developers, and residents; and
- issuing soil deposit and removal permits, tree cutting permits in areas susceptible to soil erosion, driveway access permits, and permits to work within municipal road allowance.