Business Licences & Renewals
A Business Licence application form must be submitted for :
- a new business,
- a change of ownership,
- a change of name, and
- a change or additional location.
Your application is reviewed by staff, including Business Licence Officer, Building Inspector and the Fire Inspector and may even include a site visit. Depending on resources and file history, this process could take a couple weeks; however, if there are concerns about your time line, please speak directly with staff. An invoice will be sent to you for the licence fee when it is ready to be issued.
Obtaining a business licence
- Please submit a completed application form to the Municipal Hall.
- As part of the application, you will be required to identify which type of licence you need for your business, such as Intermunicipal, commercial or home-based. Not sure which one you are? See details below.
- Please note that a business licence will not be issued for a property where bylaw infractions exist, including an unauthorized secondary suite.
- Renewal invoices are automatically mailed out late November/early December and due and payable on the first business day of January each year.
Check out the related documents at the top of the page for helpful information relating to business licences.
- Annual licences are issued for a calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31)
- If your licence is issued after July 31, the invoice will be a half-year rate only
- Each location or premise where business takes place requires a separate licence
- The fee is not refundable if you close your business
- Your licence is not transferrable between municipalities
- No licence can be granted where the premise is in contravention of any bylaw regarding business, building, zoning or land use
- Where a licence for a business is not renewed within 60 days after its expiry date, the holder of the licence shall pay a late payment fee of an additional 50%, in addition to the licence fee
|Business Type||Annual Fee|
|Home Based||$ 50.00|
|Small Commercial *||$100.00|
|Large Commercial **||$200.00|
* Small Commercial is defined as 464.5 m² (5,000 ft²) or less of gross floor area of buildings used for business. If commercial business works in other districts, a intermunicipal licence is also required.
** Large Commercial is defined as more than 464.5 m² (5,000 ft²) gross floor area of buildings used for business. If commercial business works in other districts, a intermunicipal licence is also required.
Home-Based Business - A business carried on as a home occupation use within an area of not more than 25% of the gross floor area of a dwelling unit; and if in an accessory building, it must be less than 90 m2 in floor area. The Land Use Bylaw has additional requirements related to Home-Based businesses in Section 33.
Intermunicipal - A business licence to carry on business within the boundaries of any participating municipality, and issued pursuant to the Intermunicipal Business Licence Agreement. All Commercial businesses that are physically located in Central Saanich that also carry on business in other municipalities (such as installers) require both commercial and intermunicipal licence designation.
Commercial - Any business other than a Home-Based Business, a Farm-Based Business or a Business for which an Intermunicipal Licence or a Daily Licence is required. All Commercial businesses that are physically located in Central Saanich that also carry on business in other municipalities (such as installers) require both commercial and intermunicipal licence designation. *Please note that any commercial business applications will also require a floor plan showing the layout of the space in relation to the rest of the building.
Farm-Based Business - A farm-related business operating on land within the Agricultural Land Reserve or land classified as farm under the Assessment Act.
Daily - A one-day business licence required for craft fairs, exhibitions or other itinerant shows or entertainment.
Non-Resident - A business (other than a Resident Business) carried on within the Municipality or with respect to which any work or service is performed within the Municipality. For clarity, the office of the business will not be located within the Municipality.