The District is considering an amendment to its Business Licence Bylaw in conjunction with a Provincial Policy Directive to allow the temporary (Oct 31, 2020) expansion of liquor service areas to enable greater social distancing for customers. The new Business Licence Bylaw contains regulations regarding business operations for new outdoor seating areas, including hours of operation.
To address concerns of how liquor establishments may operate with expanded service areas, especially outdoor seating, it is proposed that the District amend its Business Licencing Bylaw to include the following:
- For new outdoor seating areas where liquor is served, hours shall be no later than 9 pm on Sundays through Thursday, and no later than 10 pm on Friday's and Saturday.
- Businesses with existing outdoor seating would retain their current hours.
- Boundaries where liquor is serviced must be clearly marked and delineated.
- There shall be no impact on accessible parking spaces or access and egress for people with mobility issues.
- Amplified music or televisions are not permitted in any new outdoor areas where liquor is to be served.
Full details can be found here.
There will be a public input opportunity on Monday, June 15, at 7:00 to give business owners and the public a chance to share their feedback.
Submit your comments by 12:00 p.m. on June 15, 2020, to be submitted to Council. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail Central Saanich Municipal Hall, 1903 Mount Newton Cross Road, Saanichton, BC, V8M 2A9.
To register to speak, email email@example.com or phone us at 250-652-4444 by June 15, 2020, at noon. You will be sent instructions on how to join the virtual meeting through your device, computer or phone.
Watch the meeting live online or view the recording at centralsaanich.civicweb.net/Portal