Wide open spaces is a treasured feature of living in Central Saanich, but it means it can be more difficult to travel without a private vehicle. With effort from everyone we can reduce the carbon impacts of transportation.
What can you do?
Calculate your carbon footprint
Find out your impact with Saanich's calculator, and play with the tool to see how small changes can add up and can improve the quality of your life and our community! In addition to the ideas below, choosing local trips and taking less flights will help you decrease your transportation emissions.
Walk and bike for short trips; just 1 km has an impact!
Improve your lifestyle with more time spent walking and biking. Just 1 km, or approx 10 mins of walking, equals 1,250 steps and approx. 60 calories burned and improves our air quality.
- New to biking? You could buy a second-hand bike to see how you like it and check out the Bike Skills Course.
- Try an electric bicycle - you can trial one at a number of bike shops.
- Check out the CRD cycling map
- Map your cycling experience to make biking safer at bikemaps.org
Did you know you can lease a used EV for what you're probably spending on gas and maintenance? EVs are quiet and smooth to drive and you can charge up for just a few dollars. BC has the most charging stations in Canada with more being added all the time!
Rebate programs for vehicle purchase
Province of BC's rebate program, up to $3,000 of point-of-sale incentives for electric, hybrid and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
Government of Canada's rebate program, up to $5,000 of point-of-sale incentives for fully battery electric vehicles with a base model MSRP under $45,000, or under $55,000 in the case of vehicles with 7+ seats. Higher trim models of qualifying base vehicles may still be eligible. iZEV offers up to $5,000 off the purchase of a qualifying new battery electric vehicle.
BC SCRAP-IT Program, up to $6,000 to scrap high polluting vehicles when replaced with an electric vehicle and other low carbon forms of transportation.
Specialty-Use Vehicle Incentive Program, between $2,000 and $50,000 for motorcycle, low-speed vehicles, medium/heavy duty trucks, forklifts, and airport and port vehicles.
Rebate programs for chargers
The province's EV Charger Rebate Program. Rebates are available to support individuals, organizations, buildings, and companies.
For more info see: Plug-In BC for all incentives, find support for first-time EV owners, and find charging stations.
View a presentation by Emotive on Electric Vehicles 101
Use public transit and car sharing
Transit is a great way to make the most of your commute, and it's not only good for your health (more walking) and wallet, it's great for local businesses as it encourages shopping closer to home.
- Check out BC Transit to plan your trip and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Need a vehicle? Central Saanich has partnered with Modo, and now has three round-trip carshare vehicles. Starting at just $4/hour, you can book a vehicle in Saanichton Village or Brentwood Bay at the Cultural Centre. Get all the benefits of having a car without the hassle of owning one (or two). Get $50 of free drive time with code CENTRALSAANICH when signing up at www.modo.coop
I want to learn more about...
Check out National Resources Canada to find information on how the federal government is working to reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions by informing Canadians, businesses and governments about fuel-efficient vehicles.